Wednesday, May 21, 2008

THE AMERICAN GIRL TEA PARTY:

A few weeks ago my ten-year-old daughter, Madison, watched
Life Today one morning before school. She saw children drinking water from a contaminated river in Africa. Animals were also in this water (dead and alive) as well as people were washing their clothes, bathing, etc. Tragically, this is their only choice of water and it’s causing 10,000 deaths a DAY.

As Madison watched this, she turned to me with tears in her eyes and said, “Mom, I feel like God wants me to do something to help those children get water." My response was, "Well, let's pray about it and see what we could (possibly) do."

A couple of weeks went by and I have to admit, I was a little hesitant about taking on this task. I prayed for God to specifically speak to me through scripture if we should do this or not. Coincidentally, I opened my Bible to Matthew 25, “I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink. Whatever you did for one of the least of these...you did for me.”

As if that wasn’t good enough, the next day I prayed again, “Are ya’ SURE, Lord?” That morning when I opened my little daily devotional book - yep, you guessed it - same verses.

So-o-o-o, we’re holding a tea (in our spare time) to raise funds to dig a water well (never done THAT before)! The “American Girl Tea Party – American Girls Saving Lives Around the World” will be held on Sunday afternoon, July 13, 2008 at the beautiful new
Bell Cultural Events Center on the MidAmerica Nazarene University campus in Olathe, KS.

We'll enjoy garden tea party sandwiches, delicate tea cakes, cookies, and of course tea or pink lemonade. You'll simply love the outstanding entertainment and amazing
silent auction baskets and items are rolling in! We just received word that the beautiful "AMERICAN GIRL TEA PRINCESS" from the "WISHING WELL CASTLE" is arriving just in time for the tea! A professional photographer will be available for a special photo memory opportunity. Bring your favorite doll for a lovely afternoon with family and friends - aunts, sisters, cousins, and neighbors! And you will love the surprise to take home!

We are very blessed to live with such comfort and conveniences, but did you know that four MILLION people die every year due to water related illnesses? Or as Madison notes, “Mom, it’s been eight seconds, one more person just died.” One well, however, can provide fresh water for a whole community.

Several people have expressed that they’ve often wanted to help, but didn’t know what to do. Through this tea, we have a chance to make a difference – literally saving lives around the world. Proverbs 31:20 says, “Her hands reach out to the poor, and she extends her hands to the needy.” Let’s reach out together.

Our goal is to raise enough funds to dig a water well - $4800. The cost to attend the tea will be $15 (or $20 after June 29th). We would love for you to be a part of this opportunity to help others. Please contact us if you would like additional information, to become a sponsor for the tea, donate items, or have a heart of compassion to make a difference in the lives of children around the world. We hope to hear from you soon.

Blessings,
Madison and
Susan Crook

"Whoever gives just a cup of cold water to one of these little ones because he is a disciple -- I assure you: He will never lose his reward!" Matthew 10:42.